Sunday, May 20, 2007

'Liberal' NYT Speaks To Its Upscale Readers About Domestic Tyranny

Here's a lovely piece for a Sunday Edition, in which the "liberal" New York Times discusses "tyranny" in a manner guaranteed to resonate with the rich.

After all, there's nothing quite like the sound of wealthy people whining.

The Tyranny of the 2nd Home
“We’re heavy on the despair right now,” said Conn Nugent, a foundation executive who found the perfect run-down farm on the highest hill in western Massachusetts 10 years ago. “I was high-minded but incompetent,” he said. “I decided I was going to resuscitate Summit Farm for my wife and children, that we’d raise bees and organic beef. All of those visions danced in my head — and worse: I decided I was going to be the architect!”

The Nugents figured they could design the new house that was needed by themselves. “After about 17 drafts of the plans, I sent it out to the contractors,” Mr. Nugent said. “They saw me coming.” He thought it could be built for under $200,000. They said it would cost three times that.
Yikes!! Six hundred grand for an escape from reality! Cry me a river!!

Surely tyranny can't get any worse than that.

Can it?




A relative of a mortar attack victim grieves outside Imam Ali hospital in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, May 15, 2007.

The attack killed four and wounded 11 at a market on the edge of Baghdad's Sadr City Shiite district.